Monday, November 06, 2006

Devotional Note for Jeremiah 4-5

DAILY DEVOTION
Psalm 73:28: “It is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all Your deeds.”

Mark 1:35: “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where He prayed.”

Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4: “Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

Text: Jeremiah 4-5

Discovery through A.C.T.I.O.N.S. (Psalm 119:18-Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your Law)

Adoration-for who God is

Jeremiah chapter 4-5 highlight God as a jealous God who would punish sin justly but still show mercy.

The message of these two chapters can be summarized by three ‘R’s:
God reproached Israelites: they were fool, didn’t know God, senseless, had no understanding, skilled in doing evil and knew not how to do good (4:22; 5:21), refused correction and repentance (5:3), didn’t know God’s way (5:4), broke off the yoke (5:5), their rebellion was great and backslidings many (5:6b), their children forsook God (5:7), they committed adultery (5:7), were lusty stallions and each neighing another man’s wife (5:8), utterly unfaithful (5:11), lied about God (5:12), served foreign gods (5:19), stubborn (5:23), full of deceit (5:27), evil desires had no limit (5:28), injustice (5:28b), prophets prophesy lies and people loved it that way (5:31).

Retribution would come: A distant nation from the north (Babylon) would attack and destroy Judah (4:6,7,12,16,18,20,22,27,29b,31; 5:3,9,15-17). But God would not completely destroy His chosen people (4:27; 5:10,18).

God called His people to return to Him: to put idols away (4:1b), be truthful, just and righteous (4:2), circumcise your hearts (4:4), wash the evil from your heart (4:14), not harbor wicked thoughts (4:14), deal honestly and seek the truth (5:1), fear God and tremble in His presence (5:22).

Confession-for what I sin

5:25b: “Your sins have deprived you of good!” For the sin of self-pity and hidden pride that always make myself stressful and easily get upset, forgive me, O Lord. Set me free by the power of the Holy Spirit! Make me joyful, determined and humble like Jesus my Savior!

Thanksgiving-for what God does

5:1: “If you can find but a person who deals honestly and seeks the truth, I will forgive this city!” God is merciful and forgiving, He is seeking for godly person(s) to be His instrument for noble purposes, to make an impact, drawing sinners back to the path of holiness and righteousness and eternal life.

Inspiring verse(s)-for what help it gives

5:14: “I will make my words in your mouth a fire and these people the wood it consumes.” God, bless me to preach your word with the fresh fire of the Holy Spirit that refine people’s hearts and souls!

Obedience-for what it teaches or orders
4:4: “Circumcise your hearts…or my wrath will beak out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done.” O Holy God, circumcise and purify my heart, so that in deep covenant relationship with You and Christians, I myself and the people called Methodist nowadays would be revived to shine brighter!

Now-action-for what I must do

By the grace of God and the anointing of the Holy Spirit, I will learn and strive to be that “person who deal honestly and seek the truth” (5:1), so that God’s Gospel of forgiveness would come upon many people around me.

The great evangelist D..L.Moody one day heard this challenging words which marked the beginning of a new era in his life:
“The world has yet to see what God will do with, and for, and through, and in, and by, the man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him.”

“He said, ‘a man’,” thought Moody. “He did not say a great man, nor a learned man, nor a rich man, nor a wise man, nor an eloquent man, nor a ‘smart’ man, but simply ‘a man’. I am a man, and it lies with the man himself whether he will, or will not, make that entire and full consecration. I will try my utmost to be that man.

Supplication-for strength and wisdom to do

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home